Food waste collection
We provide a weekly food waste collection, including all types of cooked and raw food and leftovers. Please place food waste in your:
Use the silver caddy in your kitchen; empty the contents into the larger brown food waste bin; or, put food waste directly in the brown bin.
Please do not wrap food waste in newspaper, kitchen roll or plastic bags.
- Use an approved compostable bag – sold at supermarkets and other shops - to line your food waste caddy.
- Don’t leave food waste uncovered before you place it in the silver kitchen caddy as flies can lay eggs during this time
- Remove moisture from the food before it goes into the silver food waste caddy.
- If you use compostable bags to contain your food waste then squeeze the air out once they are full to reduce smells.
- Keep the lids of the containers closed at all times and on the brown food waste bin keep the handles in the locked position
- Keep your bins clean with used dish water: the silver caddy is dishwasher safe.
- Keep your silver food waste caddy and your brown food waste bin out of direct sunlight which might warm up the waste, this will help to reduce smells and flies
- Keep your bin lid closed at all times to prevent animals and flies getting in.
- Some essential oils such as citronella and tea tree oil are natural insect repellents: try smearing your bin lid with one of these if flies are a problem.
- If the bin is broken please contact the waste team for a replacement: charges may apply.
Contact the waste team.