Private waste removal

Householders are required by law to check that anyone removing waste from their house is registered with the Environment Agency as a waste carrier. This includes waste removed as part of building work, DIY work and house clearance.

Failure to check is a criminal offence. However, recording the registration number of any vehicle removing waste will mean that if it is later dumped illegally, they should face prosecution and not you.

Council's household waste collections do not need to be registered.

Check if a waste carrier is authorised

To check if a waste carrier you are using is authorised, search the Environment Agency's public register of waste carriers (external website) or phone their authorisations team on 03708 506 506.

Report illegal waste dumping

  • See Fly tipping to report waste being dumped illegally.

Help us improve our website

Got ten minutes to spare? We're running a quick exercise to help us organise the waste and recycling web content to make it easier to find.

Take part: navigation exercise

The exercise will run in a new window or tab. If the exercise is closed, don't worry. We'll be running further exercises over the next few weeks. Or you can contact the web team direct: Contact web services (Please don't use this link for bin queries.)