Bulky waste

We offer a collection service for large household waste. We can collect up to nine items per booking. There is a charge for this service.

You can also donate reusable items to a number of charities or you can recycle many items at your nearest household waste and recycling centre.

Book a collection

  • To book a collection and arrange payment phone 01494 586 550.


Due to popular demand for the bulky waste service, collections spaces fill up quickly and there can be a wait of up to four weeks.


We charge a flat rate by number of items.

  • 1 to 3 items: £36
  • 4 to 6 items: £72
  • 7 to 9 items: £108

Discounts apply if you receive income-related benefits. Please phone 01494 586 550 quoting your National Insurance number to arrange this service.

How to pay

You can also pay by:

  • cheque (payable to "Chiltern District Council")
  • credit card (please note that a surcharge of 1.6 per cent applies to credit card payments)
  • debit card (no surcharge)

You must pay before we can collect your items. Cheques take up to two weeks to process and clear which may delay your collection.

What we will collect

  • carpets
  • beds
  • furniture
  • domestic fridges and freezers
  • other domestic electrical items

Please remove all food from fridges and freezers.

You can dispose of items for free at household waste and recycling centres or recycle usable items through services like Freecycle or the Freegle (external websites)

Please leave items outside the property for collection, as the contractors are not insured to enter buildings. Please ensure there is access to the items at all times in this period.

Items we cannot collect

We cannot collect pianos, garden waste, motor vehicle parts, asbestos or waste from construction and demolition works.

Construction or demolition waste, even if it is generated at home, is classified by the Controlled Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 as industrial waste. As a Waste Collection Authority we do not have a duty to collect industrial waste.  

Examples of construction and demolition waste from households could include:

  • doors and windows
  • fitted kitchens
  • bathroom fittings
  • boilers
  • storage heaters
  • fitted wardrobes
  • building material such as rubble, concrete, bricks and roof tiles
  • plasterboard
  • soil from landscaping activities
  • any other building materials 

These items can be disposed of at your local household waste and recycling centre.

In addition, if waste is generated within a residential home or garden, but as a result of a business activity (for example building waste as a result of removing a fitted kitchen), it is defined as commercial waste and therefore subject to regulation as commercial waste.

Householders have a duty of care to check that anyone removing their waste is a registered waste carrier. This includes waste removed as part of building work, DIY work and house clearance.

Failure to check is a criminal offence. You can carry out a check by recording the registration number of any vehicle removing waste. This means that if it is later dumped illegally, the perpetrator not you should face prosecution.

Check the Environment Agency's public register of waste carriers (external website) or phone their authorisations team on 03708 506 506.


Please be aware that once your bulky collection is booked, we cannot change the collection items or the appointment day. Cancellations with full refund can be made up until 1pm on the Friday prior to your bulky collection date. We will not be able to refund any cancellations made after this cut-off time.

Free disposal at household recycling centres (the "tip")

You can dispose of unwanted furniture and other types of household waste for free at these Bucks County Council household recycling centres (also known as the "tip").

You can find the locations of household recycling centres on My Wycombe:

The sites are open seven days a week from 9am to 6pm (summer months) and 9am to 4pm (winter months). The sites are closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.

Organise your own collection

If you would like to organise your own collection, you can find contractors in the Yellow Pages or by searching the web.

Contact information