Recycling your food waste is easy. We now accept food waste in plastic bags.
We collect your food waste weekly.
Please place food waste in your outdoor food recycling bin (brown bin) and present at your property boundary by 7am on your collection day.
- any food: raw, cooked, burnt, mouldy or out of date
- plate scrapings
- tea bags & coffee grounds
- pet food
- bones, shells and skins
We do not accept
- non-food items
- garden waste
- pet bedding/litter
Food waste caddy liners
You can use:
- compostable bags
- freezer bags
- carrier bags
- pedal bin liners
- salad, bread and cereal wrapping
- or, leave it loose.
Please note: the following are unacceptable: black bin liners, rubble sacks, and hard plastic packaging.
Request a new food bin
Request a new bin
We are currently unable to collect food waste recycling from communal properties. Please contact us if you would like to be considered for food waste recycling collections in the future.
- Line your caddy and empty it regularly to keep it clean
- Rinse your caddy in washing up water, or place it in the dishwasher
- Line the bottom of your caddy with kitchen roll or newspaper to keep it dry
- Keep your outdoor food bin locked; push the black handle forward to lock it
- Present your food bin every week on collection day
What happens to your food waste and caddy liners
Machinery separates the bags and liners from the food waste. Those bags and liners are then sent to the energy from waste plant to be turned into electricity. The remaining food waste is processed, creating energy and a rich fertiliser, to be used in agriculture.
Reasons for change
Residents have told us that having to use compostable liners puts them off recycling their food waste. We have been working closely with the operators of the food recycling plant, and they are now able to accept other kinds of liners.