Do I need planning permission?

Planning permission is usually required for new builds and major changes to existing properties.

To find out if you need planning permission, please fill in a request form and return it to the address on the form. There is a £60 research fee for this service.

Pre-application planning advice

We provide a pre-application planning advice service. There is a charge for this service which relates to the level of advice you require.

Development Plan

We make planning decisions in accordance with the Development Plan, unless material considerations indicate otherwise.

Planning Practice Guidance and the Planning Portal

Remember, these websites can only provide general advice and it’s your responsibility to comply with planning law, building regulations and other legal requirements.

Community Infrastructure Levy

You will have to pay Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) for developments with 'general consent' of more than 100 square metres.

Conservation areas and listed buildings

Planning permission is usually required for developments within conservation areas or to listed buildings.

Advertisements and hoardings

Advertisements are grouped into three categories:

  1. Exceptions: advertisements that do not require advertisement consent.
  2. Deemed consent: Those advertisements that require consent, but provided they fall within certain criteria can be displayed without having to apply to the local planning authority.
  3. Express consent: An application for express consent must be made to the local planning authority on the forms provided and is subject to a fee. Applications for advertisement consent can be considered only in the interests of "amenity" and "public safety". We may not impose any limitation or restriction on the subject matter, content, or design of an advertisement except in the interests of public safety or amenity.

Contact information

Web form: Planning team


  • Telephone: 01494 412 246