Skip to content

We use first and third-party cookies to provide and improve our services online. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. How to manage cookies

Community infrastructure levy

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) may be payable for developments which involve the creation of new dwellings. It may also be payable for developments with an internal floor area of 100 square metres or more. The Wycombe CIL includes charges for residential and retail developments only.

From 1 January 2021 our CIL rates will increase in line with inflation. This means that our rates will be as follows:

  • Residential zone A (High Wycombe, Lane End and Stokenchurch) - £185.83 per square metre
  • Residential zone B (rest of Wycombe) - £222.99 per square metre
  • Large-scale retail - £297.32 per square metre
  • Small-scale retail and other chargeable development - £185.83 per square metre

For more information, please see Wycombe CIL rates summary 2021 [PDF | 280KB].

Funds raised from the levy will be used by us together with service and infrastructure providers to deliver infrastructure improvements across Wycombe. More information on how the funds will be spent can be found on CIL spending and technical documents.

How is CIL calculated?

CIL is charged at a flat rate per square metre. The rates of the Wycombe CIL are set out in our CIL charging schedule. CIL charges of over £20,000 will be payable in instalments, as set out in our instalments policy.

We calculate the floor area that CIL is payable on by measuring the gross internal area (or GIA) of a new development, for which we exclude the external walls. All new build areas, including garages, are included. Areas with a head height of less than 1.5 metres are not included in the chargeable area.

Floor areas which are to be demolished can be deducted from the CIL chargeable area. These areas can only be deducted if they have been in their lawful use for a continuous period of at least six months of the previous three years.

For residential projects, our CIL is charged at one of two different rates per square metre, depending on where you are in the area. You can use My Wycombe to search for your address and then click on the map in the "My Maps" tab to tell you which of the two charging zones applies.

What development may be liable for CIL?

Development may be liable for CIL in the following situations:

  • any new dwellings, regardless of their gross internal floor area
  • new building (such as extensions) where the gross new build floor area comes to more than 100 square metres
  • a change of use from non-residential to residential use, when the building in question has not been occupied in its lawful use for a continuous period of six months in the previous three years (the end point of the three years is taken from the date on which planning permission is granted)

Development carried out under Permitted Development ("General Consent") may still be liable for CIL if it meets any of the above criteria.

What development will not be liable for CIL?

Development may not be liable for CIL in the following situations:

  • a change of use from non-residential to residential use, where the building to be changed has been occupied in its lawful use for at least six continuous months of the previous three years.
  • a project which involves only bringing a vacant dwelling back into use, even if that dwelling has been vacant for more than three years (no change of use takes place)
  • if the development only involves the subdivision or installation of a mezzanine floor within a building which has been occupied in its lawful use for at least six continuous months of the previous three years.
  • if it is a building into which people only go intermittently for the inspection or maintenance of fixed plants or machinery.
  • if it is a structure for pylons or wind turbines.

What information do I need to provide?

When you submit your planning application, you should submit a CIL additional questions form. This form sets out the floor areas of your development, and also any demolition which should be credited against the new build floor area.

If your application for planning permission is successful, then whoever is going to pay the CIL charge should send us a CIL Assumption of Liability. If you are carrying out works under general consent / permitted development rights, you will need to serve a Notice of Chargeable Development on us.

Before the chargeable development commences, you should send us a commencement notice. We will then issue a Demand Notice, which sets out when payment is due. Payments over £20,000 will be payable in instalments.

Further information on the process is available on the Planning Portal CIL page (external website).

CIL forms

CIL form 1 - Assumption of liability (external website)

This form is used to assume liability for the payment of CIL. It also needs to be completed to claim for relief or exemption, including self-build exemption.

CIL form 2 - Claiming exemption or relief (external website)

This form is used to claim exemption or relief for social / affordable housing or developments by registered charities for charitable use.

CIL form 3 - Withdrawal of assumption of liability (external website)

Use this form if you have assumed liability to pay CIL but will no longer be the party making the payment.

CIL Form 4 - Transfer of assumed liability (external website)

This form is used to transfer the responsibility for paying CIL between parties. It should be used if the person who assumed liability using form 1 will no longer be paying CIL, but has already agreed with another party that they shall be paying in their stead.

CIL Form 5 - Notice of chargeable development (external website)

This form is used to give us as charging authority notice of work which may be liable for CIL being carried out under General Consent / Permitted Development rights.

CIL Form 6 - Commencement notice (external website)

This form is used to give us notice that a development with a CIL liability is starting on site. This needs to be submitted even if an exemption from CIL is granted.

Relief for self-builders and domestic extensions

In February 2014 the government introduced exemption from CIL for self-builders. Under this system, anyone who is extending their own property, or building a new property to occupy as their primary residence, can claim relief from CIL. Please note this is not an automatic process and must be applied for, before work starts on site. You must also assume liability for the development and send us a CIL Commencement Notice before work starts in order for the exemption to be valid.

CIL Form 7 - Self build exemption claim part 1 (external website)

This form is used to make a claim for self build exemption when a new dwelling is being constructed. This should be used when the dwelling is going to be your primary residence on completion for at least three years - please also pay attention to the declarations in section B.

CIL Form 7 - Self build exemption claim part 2 (external website)

This form should be used for schemes where self build exemption has been granted for new dwellings. You should submit it to us within six months of completion in these cases, accompanied by the supporting evidence set out in the form, which includes completion certificate, utility bills, bank statements or similar showing the property address, self-build mortgage or similar.

CIL Form 8 - Self build residential annex exemption claim (external website)

This form should be used to claim for self build exemption when the work being carried out is the creation of a residential annex, to be used as ancillary accommodation to the main dwelling.

CIL Form 9 - Self build residential extension exemption claim (external website)

This form should be used to claim for self build exemption when the work being carried out is a domestic extension which has a gross internal floor area of more than 100 square metres (extensions with a gross internal area of less than 100 square metres are automatically exempt from CIL and therefore do not require a claim to be submitted).

Relief for social/affordable housing and charities

Relief is also available when new builds are being provided for affordable housing or charitable purposes. Relief can be claimed using CIL form 2.

We have introduced a discretionary social housing relief policy, in line with regulation 49A of the CIL regulations, for certain types of discounted market sales houses. This relief is available if the development meets certain criteria and if the housing is accepted in an associated S106 Agreement as affordable housing.

Wycombe CIL discretionary social housing relief [PDF | 25KB]

We have also put into place a policy under regulation 45 of the CIL regulations to allow relief from CIL for charitable institutions under certain circumstances.

Wycombe CIL discretionary charitable relief policy [PDF | 27KB]

Payment in kind for CIL

Our Cabinet decided at their meeting on 6 June that Wycombe District Council (now forms part of Buckinghamshire Council) would accept infrastructure payments as a payment in kind may be accepted in certain cases.  This means that a developer may deliver infrastructure directly that otherwise may be funded through CIL and delivered through public sector agencies, with the value of the infrastructure being offset against the developers CIL Liabilities.  Details of the process and the infrastructure projects that may be accepted as a payment in kind are set out in the document below. 

Wycombe CIL payment in kind infrastructure payments [PDF | 82KB]

Other useful information and frequently asked questions

We have produced a frequently asked questions document and guidance notes for applicants which covers some frequently asked questions and topics not covered on this page.

CIL guidance notes for applicants [PDF | 680KB]

Wycombe CIL FAQs [PDF | 45KB]

The Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government (MHCLG) has also produced guidance on the Community Infrastructure Levy:

CIL Guidance (external website)

Contact information

Web form: Planning team


  • Telephone: 01494 412 246