Princes Risborough conservation area
Princes Risborough is a small market town built on the springline at the foot of the Chiltern Hills. The medieval core of the settlement retains its compact character. It is historically associated with The Black Prince, Edward, who held the manor in 1343. The remnants of this were excavated in 1955. Remnants of the medieval burgage plot can still be read in places and on maps.
The town has a classic planned layout with a wide High Street running towards the triangular Market Square. The Market House forms a focal point here. Church Street and Bell Street run from the Square, both narrower, and lined with traditional buildings. St Mary's Parish Church lies to the west. Lining the High Street are tight knit ranges of 18th century, Georgian and Victorian buildings, executed in a variety of traditional materials. Evidence of earlier timber framed buildings also exists in places. The predominant style of building is two storey, with some the height of a cottage, and some taller as befitting their status when built. Most are red brick with tile or slate roofs. Some good shopfronts remain, but most are modern. There are examples of flared or vitrified header bond on some of facades of the 18th century buildings, again a high status indicator.
Beyond the medieval core the conservation area is more open in character. Close to the church lies the 17th century Manor House, a grand building in the Artisan Mannerist style, of red brick, and Monks Staithe, a timber framed house once occupied by Amy Johnson. Church Street included a scattered group of buildings including the church hall, and cottages. To the south of the High Street, Bell Street is still lined with vernacular cottages, with later modern infilling. This forms part of the main thoroughfare through town, and is thus subject to high levels of traffic. To the north of Duke Street lies the new Tesco supermarket and the unusual St Theresa's Roman Catholic Church.
There is little green open space within the conservation area, the key area being the well treed churchyard. In the centre of town the Market Square is the defining surfaced open space.
There are 42 listed buildings with the town centre.