Skip to content

We use first and third-party cookies to provide and improve our services online. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. How to manage cookies

Coronavirus building control information
Building control service update during the coronavirus crisis.

Do I need building regulations approval

Our building control service is here to see that building work complies with the building regulations and to enforce standards.

Building work requiring building regulations

Building regulations approval is required for many home improvements as well as work to commercial and other non-domestic properties. This includes:

  • new or extension of a building (including loft conversions)
  • change of use of all or part of a building (eg conversion of a shop into a dwelling, conversion of a house into flats and conversion of a garage into a room)
  • alterations which effect the structure, fire safety and access
  • new or changes to washing and sanitary facilities, hot water cylinders, drainage
  • electrical installations in dwellings
  • replacement windows and external doors
  • new fuel burning appliances
  • cavity wall insulation
  • underpinning

Exempt building work

Some minor works are exempt from building regulations. Examples include:

  • conservatories
  • porches
  • carports, covered yards
  • new or extensions to small detached buildings and which contain no sleeping accommodation

If you think your planned work is exempt, check with us first before you start the work.

More information

Local Authority Building Control (LABC) represents all local authority building control teams in England and Wales. It provides advice for developers, homeowners and building control officers.

See LABC Your project for detailed advice on when you need building regulation approval.

If in doubt, please contact us, planning and building control contact information.

Planning permission

Remember to check whether your building project also requires planning permission.

See do I need planning permission? for more information.

Apply for building regulation approval

Please make your application through the LABC portal (external website).

We receive a notification from LABC that your enquiry has been submitted. We will contact you within two to three working days to request payment.

Or, see apply for building regulation approval.

Technical guidance

See building regulations approved documents and guides for a list guides which tell you how to achieve compliance with the building regulations.

Demolition work

You must give us advance written notice if you plan to take down or demolish any building or part of any building. Our role is to ensure safe demolition without any danger to the public.

We need advance notice so that we can consult with the appropriate organisations, including:

  • Bucks Fire and Rescue Authority
  • highways authority
  • Thames Water
  • Environment Agency
  • Buckinghamshire Council Environmental Health 
  • Health and Safety Executive

Contact information

Planning and building control opening hours and contact information