Parking standards for new developments
This page refers to current Wycombe planning policy. See New local plan
for updates on the developing broad spatial strategy and policy framework for Wycombe District up to 2033.
The parking guidance indicates the appropriate level of parking that is required for new developments that require planning permission. The levels vary according to the type of development and the level of accessibility by public transport.
Buckinghamshire car parking standards
Buckinghamshire County Council (BCC) has adopted new countywide parking standards from 6 October 2015.
Key changes include:
- new accessibility zoning on a county wide basis
- reference to more recent car ownership data and habitable rooms as well as number of bedrooms
- larger spaces (now 2.8 metres wide)
- recognition of the importance of unallocated parking for efficient use of parking with more parking required where this most or all parking is allocated
- standards refer to the optimum level of parking provision rather than a maximum or minimum provision
The BCC guidance has been adopted by the highway authority following a public consultation exercise and can therefore be accorded weight in the planning process. Whilst it does not have the same weight as WDC adopted supplementary planning guidance, none-the-less it has sufficient weight to justify careful consideration in the determination of all planning applications moving forward.
Alongside the new standards, the spreadsheet Parking calculator for new developments [Excel | 30KB] makes calculation easier. We hope that the calculator is self-explanatory. If you do have any questions, please contact us.
Web form: Planning team