Housing benefit explained

Housing benefit

Housing benefit can make a significant contribution towards your rent.

You can claim housing benefit if you pay rent to the council, housing association or a private landlord.

You cannot claim housing benefit if you live with, or have to pay rent to a close relative such as a parent, step-parent, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter or their partners.

Each housing benefit claim is different. Your entitlement is based upon:

  • the rent you pay
  • your income including any other benefits you receive
  • any savings you may have
  • personal and family circumstances
  • any spare bedrooms in your home

If you rent from a private landlord, your benefit will be calculated using the local housing allowance 

Council tax reduction

The application process is the same for housing benefit and council tax reduction..

If your circumstances change

If you make or have already made a claim for housing benefit or council tax reduction, you must let us know if any of the information included in your claim has changed: for example, your earnings have change or you’ve moved home.

Child care benefits

  • Free childcare for 2 year olds (external website): Buckinghamshire County Council introduced the offer of free childcare places from September 2013 to all eligible families with a two year old who live in Buckinghamshire.

Contact information

  • Telephone: 01494 412 227