Skip to content

We use first and third-party cookies to provide and improve our services online. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. How to manage cookies

Finding rented housing

The following is general advice on your housing choices to rent.

We can give you free confidential, impartial advice.

Our offices are open:

  • Mondays to Thursdays 8.45am to 5.15pm
  • Fridays 8.45am to 4.45pm

Emergency out of hours, please phone social services on 0800 999 7677.

Safety tips

Here’s a few tips to follow when you are looking at rented housing.

  • Take someone with you when viewing properties
  • Make sure gas appliances are safe - landlords should have a gas safety certificate
  • Make sure all furniture is fireproof
  • There are special safety rules that apply to shared houses and they should be registered with us

Private rented housing

You will rent from a private landlord either directly or through an agent. It can be on your own or with others, will involve a tenancy agreement which gives the rules and shows what is included in the rent. You can find accommodation to rent through local newspapers, newsagent windows, estate agents, college notice boards and college accommodation offices.

Social housing

In the Wycombe area, social housing is provided by housing associations, independent non-profit making bodies. Some specialise in housing for young people and some offer homes for shared ownership.

See social housing for details on how to join the housing list


You would have your own room but share the rest of the house with a landlord or a family and would pay an amount that includes accommodation and some meals.

It is important to get a written agreement between yourself and your lodgings' provider which details your rent, how often it can go up and any rules about using the facilities provided. If you have a probation officer or social worker they may be able to help you.

There is also a supported lodgings scheme for young people where someone is available to offer help and support with issues like managing your money, simple cooking or just when you need a chat. YES (Youth Enquiry Service) and the Housing Interactive Trust both offer these schemes.


Staying with friends may be a good option in the short term, but it is easy to outstay your welcome. Make sure you use this as a stop-gap to find more permanent accommodation.

Children and families social care

You, or a member of your household, may qualify for housing assistance as a "child in need" or if you are under 21 and have been in care or looked after by a local authority.

Emergency accommodation

There are different types of emergency accommodation. If you do not have anywhere to live, contact us on the details above.

Contact information