Private rented scheme
Landlords can rent their properties through our private rented scheme. The scheme introduces individuals and families in need of housing to local landlords.
We provide a comprehensive lettings service including:
- A free tenant finder service - no commission to pay
- Free advice with tenancy management issues
- A personalised service to you which includes regular visits to your property
As a minimum standard the property should have:
- Gas Safe safety certificate
- Valid Energy Performance Certificate
- Smoke alarm (10 year lithium battery or hard wired), one per storey
- From October 2015 - carbon monoxide detector (10 year lithium battery or hard wired) by kitchen, boiler and other gas appliances (where separate)
- Floor covering. For example carpets, laminate or vinyl flooring
- Adequate ventilation, heating and lighting throughout property
- Exterior of property to be secure and well maintained
- Fridge/freezer, cooker and ideally a washing machine
The landlord must supply a tenancy agreement (contract) for the tenancy.
We will only consider a property with an overseas landlord if suitable management arrangements have been made and written confirmation of authority to act on behalf of the landlord is provided.
We recommend that properties are accredited through our landlord accreditation scheme.
We will pay a deposit which is normally equivalent to six weeks rent. The deposit has to be protected under an approved deposit protection scheme and the Council's interest will need to be listed on the deposit certificate when it is registered in the scheme.
Under the direct payment scheme, housing benefit payments are set up to be paid four weekly in arrears and these payments will go direct to the owner of the property or the managing agent. Although this gives landlords security and peace of mind, if there is any rental shortfall it will remain the tenant's responsibility to ensure the landlord receives the full contractual monthly rent.
The private lettings market is fast moving and our scheme aims to reflect this. We have available tenants so are usually able to complete a tenancy within a short timescale. To avoid delays please ensure that the property is clean, safe and ready to let, with all documents in place (eg gas safety certificate).
Types of property required
We mainly need self-contained accommodation from studios up to four bedrooms.
Where possible we will conduct assisted viewings. For added peace of mind tenants referred to the scheme must not have a history of intentional rent arrears or anti-social behaviour within rented accommodation.
The scheme has a number of safeguards to help minimise rent arrears providing we are informed as soon as possible. We complete initial screening checks and refuse further help to those who have a history of rent arrears due to deliberate non-payment. We also do affordability checks.
- 01494 421603 or 01494 421606