Energy advice for landlords and tenants

Affordable Warmth Network

We are part of the Buckinghamshire Affordable Warmth Network. Together with our partner local authorities, the NHS and National Energy Foundation the Network offers advice and funding to improve the energy efficiency of your home and reduce heating bills.

Free and impartial energy efficiency advice

Whether you rent or own your home you can call the Affordable Warmth Helpline (external website) on 0800 107 0044 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday, for free, impartial and expert advice on:

  • reducing your energy bills
  • heating your home economically and efficiently
  • grants and financial assistance
  • a free talk to your group

Energy performance certificates (EPCs)

Landlords are required by law to provide an energy performance certificate when they rent out a home. An energy performance certificate gives information on the energy efficiency of a property you want to rent.

From April 2018, landlords of privately rented property must ensure that their property reach at least an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating of E before granting a new tenancy to new or existing tenants. These requirements will then apply to all private rented properties in England and Wales – even where there has been no change in tenancy arrangements – from 1 April 2020 for domestic properties, and from 1 April 2023 for non-domestic properties.See UK.GOV: The Private Rented Property minimum standard (external website) for further information.

Tenant's energy efficiency improvements

From 1 April 2016, a landlord cannot unreasonably refuse consent to a tenant’s written request for energy efficiency improvements to their home.

Guidance for landlords

Home insulation

Fully insulating your home can help to stop around 40 per cent of the heat escaping through the walls and roof, saving you money as well as energy.

Insulating your home will help it stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. It can be inexpensive and you may be eligible for assistance.