Local authorities have the power to impose restrictions on construction sites where there is a likelihood that it will create noise nuisance to neighbouring homes and/or commercial premises (given by the Control of Pollution Act 1974).
Restrictions may include:
- Specifications for particular plant or machinery to be used or not
- Specifications for the hours of use for plant or machinery
- Specifications for the noise level of works
We typically specify that works be confined to the hours of:
- 7.00am - 7.00pm Mondays to Fridays
- 7.00am - 1.00pm Saturdays
- No intrusive noise on Sundays and Bank Holidays
Within this time period we ask the site manager to use a degree of common sense and to restrict the noisiest works, as far as possible, to within the typical working day (9.00am - 5.00pm).
Construction sites are noisy by nature. As a certain degree of noise emission is inevitable, we will always work towards the best practical solution for all concerned.