Council tax: change of circumstances
You must tell us if your circumstances change as this may affect the amount of council tax you pay.
You need to let us know if:
- if someone has moved in or out of your property
- if you change your address
- if the number of adults living in your property changes
- any changes that may affect any discount or exemption you currently receive
How to tell us of a change in circumstance
The quickest way to report changes is online:
Notify a change of circumstance
If you don't tell us
If your circumstances have changed and you do not tell us immediately or if you give false information to try to get relief or discount that you are not entitled, we may charge you a penalty of £70
If you have had a penalty charged against you and we have to ask you again for same again for the same information, we may charge you a further penalty of £280.
Check your council tax balance
You can register with us to view your council tax account online. This includes information about housing benefit and council tax support if you receive these.
Manage your council tax account online
- To talk to us about council tax discounts and exemptions:
- Telephone: 01494 412 226 and select help key 6