Council tax reduction
Am I eligible for council tax reduction?
You may be eligible for council tax reduction if you are on a low income. Scheme details are decided locally.
How do I apply for council tax reduction?
The quickest way to get council tax reduction or benefits is to apply online.
Apply for council tax reduction now
How much council tax reduction I will get?
Your council tax bill will tell you how much council tax reduction you will get.
If you apply during the year and you qualify for a council tax reduction, you will receive a revised council tax bill showing your reduction.
If you do not qualify for a reduction, you will receive a letter or email to explain this.
Details of the Wycombe DC scheme are as follows:
- Pensioners are protected from reductions in benefit. This is a government requirement
- Apart from pensioners and vulnerable people (see 9. below for a list of vulnerable people) everyone is expected to make a contribution towards their council tax. All those who previously received council tax benefit have seen a reduction in support of 20 per cent. This means that, apart from pensioners and vulnerable people, everyone will have to make a contribution towards their council tax.
- Capital (for example, savings) is restricted to £6,000. This means if you have more than £6,000 in savings you will not get any reduction
- The second adult rebate has ceased
- Work incentives built into council tax benefit have been carried forward into the council tax reduction scheme
- Backdating is restricted to one month
- There is a discretionary fund is available in cases of hardship that meet the criteria set out in the discretionary fund officer guidelines here http://www.wycombe.gov.uk/council-services/council-tax-and-benefits/benefits/discretionary-help.aspx
- Claimants must notify the council of changes in their circumstances within one month to avoid a reduction in reduction payments
- The following groups are defined as vulnerable and are protected from reductions in benefit mentioned in (2) above:
Applicants in receipt of:
- Disability living allowance (mobility) - lower and higher components
- Disability living allowance (care) - lower, middle and higher components
- Employment reduction allowance - support component
- War disablement pension
- War widows pension
See: Council tax reduction scheme [PDF | 1.2MB]: full legal text of the scheme adopted by Wycombe District Council for 1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019
How do I pay my council tax?