Riding establishment licences

Anyone who hires out horses for riding, or instruction in riding must have a licence. A horse includes any mare, gelding, pony, foal, colt, filly, stallion, ass, mule or jennet.

Apply for a licence

You can pay and apply for a licence or change a licence online at GOV.UK:

Alternatively, you can download an application form.

Please complete and return to us with the application fee.

  • Fee for one year £550 (plus £18 for each horse)
  • Renewal for one year £450 (plus £18 for each horse)

Does tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period - 20 working days from when we receive the completed application.

Licence requirements

  • Animals will at all times be kept in suitable accommodation with regard to the construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • The animals will have an adequate supply of suitable food, water and bedding material. They shall receive adequate exercise and be visited at suitable intervals (so far as necessary)
  • All reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of infectious or contagious disease. This will include the provision of a suitable isolation facility
  • Appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of animals in the case of fire or other emergency
  • A register shall be kept containing a description of the animals boarded and dates of their stay with details of ownership

We shall specify such conditions in the licence that appear necessary to meet the licence requirements.


The legislation covering this area is: Riding Establishment Acts 1964 and 1970.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court (Law Courts, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1LR, phone: 01494 651 017 email: wycombe.magistrates@hmcourtservice.gsi.gov.uk).

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, see GOV.UK: Consumer rights (external website) for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre(external website).

Contact information

  • Telephone: 01494 412 247