Animal boarding establishment licences

Anyone who runs a boarding establishment business providing accommodation for other peoples' cats and/or dogs must have a licence. This includes private dwellings providing home boarding.

Apply for a licence

You can pay and apply for a licence, renew or change a licence online at GOV.UK:

Alternatively, download an animal boarding establishment licence application form [PDF | 32KB]. Please complete and return to us with the application fee of £340. The fee for home boarding is £100.

Am I eligible for a licence?

An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:

  • keeping an animal boarding establishment
  • keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006

Licence requirements

  • Animals will at all times be kept in suitable accommodation with regard to the construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • Animals will have an adequate supply of suitable food, water and bedding material. They shall receive adequate exercise and be visited at suitable intervals (so far as necessary)
  • All reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of infectious or contagious disease. This will include the provision of a suitable isolation facility
  • Appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of animals in the case of fire or other emergency
  • A register shall be kept containing a description of the animals boarded and the dates of their stay together with the details of ownership

We will shall specify such conditions in the licence that appear necessary to meet the licence requirements.

Does tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period - 20 working days from when we receive the completed application.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court (Law Courts, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1LR, phone: 01494 651 017 email:

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, see GOV.UK: Consumer rights (external website) for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre(external website).


The legislation covering this area is: Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.

Latest data

What is this data

This register lists all animal boarding establishments and dog home boarding establishments registered in the Wycombe district. We publish this data annually. 


open government licenceThis data is licensed under the Open Government Licence (external website). That means you are free to download and re-use the data.

Contact information

  • Telephone: 01494 412 247

Contact information

  • Telephone: 01494 412 247