Skip to content

We use first and third-party cookies to provide and improve our services online. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. How to manage cookies

Temporary Event Notice

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is for small-scale events where “licensable activities” occur. These events can occur indoors, outdoors or a mixture of both. Typically, TENs cover one-off events.

How to apply

Complete the application form and pay the fee online. The fee is £21.

Apply for a Temporary Event Notice

The notice period is ten working days That does not include the day that the application is made or the day of the event. So please allow two weeks.

You may also make "late" applications: two for non-personal licence holders and ten for personal licence holders per calendar year. The notice period is five days for late applications.

If you don’t give adequate notice, we return your application and the event may have to be cancelled.

Events in open spaces

When applying for events held in open spaces please include a clear description or map of the location(s) where the event(s) are being held.


The police and our Environmental Health team can object to a TEN. The grounds for objection must come under our licensing objectives: prevention of crime and disorder, prevention of public nuisance, public safety and protection of children.

Licensable activities

Licensable activities include:

  • Public performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film (includes recorded material but not simultaneously broadcast television)
  • Indoor sporting events (in front of an audience)
  • Boxing or wrestling (live, not televised)
  • Live or recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Other similar entertainment to music or dance
  • Provision of facilities for making music, dancing or similar activities
  • Provision of late night refreshment (sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)
  • Sale by retail of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol (for registered members clubs only)

Limitations of a TEN

  • Premises or a piece of land can only hold 12 TENs per calendar year (1 January to 31 December)
  • The maximum length an event can last is 168 hours. However, the combined total of TENs upon an individual premise must not exceed 15 days per year
  • Non-personal licence holders can only apply for five TENs per year
  • Personal licence holders can apply for up to 50 TENs per year
  • Maximum attendance within the area covered by the TEN cannot exceed 499 persons at any given time
  • 24 hours must elapse between any two TENs being requested for the same premise by the same person
  • Applicants must be individuals who are over 18 years of age

A premise licence will be required if the above criteria cannot be met.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period - ten working days.

Terms and conditions

Police objections

The police have three working days to issue an objection notice after they have received their copy of the application. If the parties can’t agree on amendments, then the Licensing Sub-Committee will consider the notice at least 24 hours before the event is due to take place.

Police closures

The police have the power to close down events without notice on the grounds of disorder, the likelihood of disorder or because of public nuisance caused by noise from the premises.

Planning law

The grant of a TEN does not relieve the premises user from obtaining any necessary planning consent.

Children at events

Under the Licensing Act 2003, it is unlawful to allow any unaccompanied child under 16 years old to be present on premises where the TEN is exclusively or primarily used for supply and consumption of alcohol. It is also unlawful to permit children under 16 years old, unaccompanied by an adult, between 12 midnight and 5am, into any premises operating under a TEN supplying alcohol for consumption.


Fêtes and Morris dancing do not need licenses for any regulated entertainment (music and dancing). There are also exemptions for regulated entertainment when it is taking place on religious premises or as part of a religious service.

Sale of alcohol always require a licences.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court (Law Courts, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1LR, phone: 01494 651 017 within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, see GOV.UK: Consumer rights (external website) for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (external website).

Other redress

If we decide not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Contact information

  • Telephone: 01494 421 346