Skip to content

We use first and third-party cookies to provide and improve our services online. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. How to manage cookies

Club premises certificate

Qualifying clubs need need a club premises certificate in order to supply alcohol and regulated entertainment It is similar to a premises licence, except there’s no requirement for a designated premises supervisor.

A club can apply for a club premises certificate for any premises used regularly for club purposes.

How to apply

When you apply you will need to:

  • pay the correct fee
  • provide a premises plan
  • a full operating schedule

The easiest way to apply for a licence is online at GOV.UK:

See Licensing fees: these are set by government and based upon the property’s rateable value.

We may inspect the premises before considering the application.

Qualifying clubs

A “qualifying club” must meet these conditions:

  • a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted
  • club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club
  • the club is established and conducted in good faith
  • the club has at least 25 members
  • alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

There are additional conditions relating to alcohol supply:

  • only club members over 18 and elected to do so may buy or supply alcohol for the club
  • no one may receive any commission, percentage or other similar payment in regard to the purchase of alcohol by the club
  • there are no arrangements for anyone to receive a financial benefit from supplying alcohol, apart from any benefit to the club or to any person indirectly from the supply giving a gain from running the club

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Renewals and changes to a club premises certificate

You change or renew a club premises certificate online at GOV.UK:

You can also download guidance and application forms in Word and PDF format from GOV.UK.

Operating schedule

A club operating schedule must be in a specific format and include:

  • the activities of the club
  • the activity times other opening times
  • if alcohol supplies are for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • how the club will promote the licensing objectives
  • any other information that is required

Changes to rules, name or address

If the club rules or name of the club change before an application is determined or after issue, the club secretary must send us details. Please send the certificate if it has been issued..

If a certificate is in place and the club’s registered address changes, please tell us. You will need to send the certificate with the notice.

The local licensing authority may inspect the premises before an application is considered.

Will tacit consent apply?

Tacit consent applies to every type of application except for "minor variation to a premises or club licence" which will not offer tacit consent. In this case, we must process your application before it can be granted.

Where tacit consent does apply, this means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

A failed applicant will receive notice of the refusal of an application for a certificate or variation of a certificate from us.

If an application is rejected, the applicant may appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court (Law Courts, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1LR, phone: 01494 651 017 within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If we refuse an application for a variation the licence holder may appeal the decision. A licence holder can appeal against a decision to put conditions on a certificate or to exclude any club activity. Appeals may also be made against the variation of any condition.

Appeals against the decision of a review can be made.

A club may appeal against the withdrawing of a certificate.

Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, see GOV.UK: Consumer rights (external website) for advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre(external website).

Other redress

Any interested party may make representations to us before the certificate is granted or before amendments to a certificate are granted. If representations are made a hearing will be held to consider the application and the representations. Notices will be made by us detailing the reasons for any outcome. Interested parties who made representations will receive notice of a failed application.

An interested party is:

  • a person living near the premises or a body representing such a person
  • a person involved in a business near the premises or a body representing such a person

An interested party may request a review of the club premises certificate. We will give reasons for our response to the application in a notice.

Interested parties may appeal if they argue that a certificate should not have been granted or that different or additional conditions or limitations on activities should have been made. They may also appeal against any variation of a condition.

Interested parties may appeal against the decision of a review can be made.

Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' court within 21 days of the decision appealed.

Contact information

  • Telephone: 01494 421 346