Alcohol and entertainment licences
Licensed Premises and 2nd National Lockdown
The new Lockdown Regulations took effect on Thursday 5th November 2020 and impose new restrictions on Licensed Premises.
The Regulations require hospitality venues, such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs to close for consumption of food and drink on the premises. This includes areas adjacent to the premises where seating is available for customers to use while consuming food and drink served from the premises.
Food and drink (including alcohol) may be provided for consumption off the premises, subject to the following:
Food or drink (No alcohol)
- Between the hours of 05:00 and 22:00 a premises may sell food or drink for take-away, and the purchaser can enter the premises to collect the food or drink.
- After 22:00 till 05:00 the next morning, premises may sell food and drink, but the sale must be pre-ordered and only made via a delivery, click and collect or a drive-thru facility. The purchaser must not enter the premises or vacate their vehicle.
A licensed premises may sell alcohol at any time but the sale must be pre-ordered and only made via a delivery, click and collect or a drive-thru facility. The purchaser must not enter the premises or vacate their vehicle.
The Regulations do not however override the hours and conditions of each individual Premises Licence, and these must be followed all times.
Off licences are exempt from these requirements as they are not a business that must close. However they must still follow their current Premises Licence hours and conditions.
A copy of the full Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) (No. 4) Regulations 2020 can be obtained from GOV.UK: legislation.
Under the Licensing Act 2003, any of the following "licensable activities" will require a licence:
- the sale of alcohol
- the supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs and their guests
- the provision of "regulated entertainment" to the public, or to club members or their guests. Includes plays, films, indoor sporting events, live music, recorded music (other than background music), dance and providing music making or dancing facilities
- the supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 11pm and 5am, for consumption on or off the premises (including mobile food vans)
Licensable activities can be authorised by either a premises licence or by a temporary event notice (for short term events).
- Telephone: 01494 421 346 or 01494 421 222