Skip to content

We use first and third-party cookies to provide and improve our services online. By continuing to use this website, you consent to our use of cookies. How to manage cookies

Register a new business

When starting up a new business you will need to register for some or all of the following with us.

Business rates

All businesses need to register with us for business rates.

Health and safety

Most new businesses no longer need to register with the Health and Safety Executive. However, if you work with hazardous substances like asbestos or explosives, or work in a hazardous industry such as construction, you may need a licence.



Some business activities require a licence, registration or permit. See licences and street trading

Food businesses

Food businesses need to register with us 28 days before opening. Before undertaking any works on a food premises, please speak to an Environmental Health Officer. See Register a food business

Planning permission

You will need the appropriate planning permission for the type of business you intend to run. You may need planning permission for your premises for a change of use. See Do I need planning permission?