Weekend closures of M40 junction 4 Handy Cross roundabout
If you are planning to travel via Handy Cross roundabout - M40 junction 4 - over the weekend in February and March, here's some important information. Please note these works are being carried out by Kier, working on behalf of Highways England.
Visit the Transport for Bucks website for the most up to date information about the Handy Cross A404/M40 junction 4 roundabout closures (external link).
Weekend closures of Handy Cross roundabout and A404 for resurfacing works
Work will be taking place to resurface the roundabout of the A404/M40 Handy Cross Interchange, to ensure the network remains in a safe condition for road users. Work will involve planing out and replacing the carriageway surface, replacing the traffic signal and census detection loops, renewal of the road markings and studs, and laying of anti-skid material at selected areas of the roundabout.
Enhancing the durability of the road surface will help to prevent the development of potholes and other carriageway defects making this strategically important section of the highway network less susceptible to unplanned or emergency maintenance works.
For the safety of our workforce and customers and due to the activities involved, we will be closing fully the Handy Cross roundabout over the following three weekend periods:
- 9pm on Friday 16 February through to 5am on Monday 19 February
- 9pm on Friday 23 February through to 5am on Monday 26 February
- 9pm on Friday 2 March through to 5am on Monday 5 March
These works have been carefully programmed but are subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
During these weekend closures the roundabout will be closed as well as the following approach roads:
- Wycombe Road between Ragmans Lane and the Handy Cross roundabout
- A4010 John Hall Way between Crest Road and the Handy Cross roundabout
- Marlow Road between Cressex Road roundabout and the Handy Cross roundabout
- A404 Marlow Hill between Waitrose/Park and Ride and the Handy Cross roundabout
Access will be maintained for residents within the closure extents and for emergency service vehicles only – please check with local bus operators for revisions to timetables/stops.
During the closures various clearly signed diversions will be in place primarily using the M40 junctions 5 and 3, the A40, Wooburn Green and Little Marlow:
- M40 northbound traffic for High Wycombe – exit at junction 3 or continue north to junction 5 then travel east along the A40 Wycombe Road
- M40 southbound traffic for High Wycombe – exit at junction 5 or continue to junction 2, circumnavigate the roundabout, travelling north on the M40 to exit at junction 3
- M40 northbound traffic for the A404 – exit at junction 3, travel south past Wooburn Green, Well End and Little Marlow, joining the A404 at Marlow
- M40 southbound traffic for the A404 – continue south to junction 2, circumnavigate the roundabout, travel north to junction 3, exit at junction 3, travel south past Wooburn Green, Well End and Little Marlow, joining the A404 at Marlow
- A404 northbound traffic for High Wycombe – from Marlow travel east past Little Marlow, Well End, Wooburn Green and the A40
- A404 northbound traffic for M40 – from Marlow travel east past Little Marlow, Well End, Wooburn Green, then join the M40 southbound at junction 3 – traffic wishing to travel north will need to access the northbound carriageway at junction 2
- Wycombe Road traffic for High Wycombe or the M40 – travel south to Marlow, then east past Little Marlow, Well End, Wooburn Green, joining the M40 southbound at junction 3 – traffic wishing to travel north will need to access the northbound carriageway at junction 2
- High Wycombe to the M40 – travel on the A40 north or south to access the M40 at junction 5 (for northbound) or junction 3 (for southbound)
- High Wycombe to the A404 – travel south on the A40 towards junction 3, then travel south past Wooburn Green, Well End and Little Marlow, joining the A404 at Marlow
Significant delays are expected during these weekend closure periods and it is advised that you plan ahead of your journey to allow for extra time or avoid this route where possible.
Highways England and Kier would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience or disruption caused during the work. If you have any questions, or if you’d like you know about their work please contact them on 0300 123 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org