Governance is about how local government bodies ensure that they are doing the right things, in the right way, for the right people, in a timely, inclusive, open, honest and accountable manner. It comprises the systems and processes, cultures and values, by which local government bodies direct and control their business and through which they account to, engage with and, where appropriate, lead their communities.
The Council supports the six core principles set out in The Good Governance Standard for Public Services (2004) developed by the Independent Commission on Good Governance in Public Services.
What the Council is committed to do in respect of these six core principles:
- Focus on the purpose of the authority and on outcomes for the community, creating and implementing a vision for the local area
- In order to exercise strategic leadership the Council will develop and promote the authority's purpose and vision
- Review on a regular basis the authority's vision for the local area and its impact on the authority's governance arrangements
- Ensure that partnerships are underpinned by a common vision of their work that is understood and agreed by all parties
- Publish an annual report on a timely basis to communicate the authority's activities and achievements, its financial position and performance.
Full Corporate Governance document can be downloaded below.