Visiting High Wycombe cemetery
High Wycombe Cemetery covers an area of 17 hectares (42 acres) of hillside near the centre of the town and is the only cemetery that we own where interments still take place.
The main entrance to the cemetery is on Hampden Road (HP13 6SX), accessed from Benjamin Road. There is also an entrance for vehicles on Priory Road and an exit on Hamilton Road.
Pedestrian entrances are situated on Hampden Road, Benjamin Road, Priory Road and at the Benjamin footpath (access from Shrubbery Road).
Only the Hampden Road gates are open during official opening times. The other gates will only be opened by arrangement, usually for funerals where a large attendance is expected.
View location of High Wycombe Cemetery on My Wycombe.
The cemetery is open from 8am (10am on Sundays and public holidays) until sunset (as defined by us) or 9pm, whichever is the earlier. The closing time is posted on the gates as it changes throughout the year.
Please note: due to the size of the cemetery it is necessary to begin closing the gates about ten minutes before the official sunset closing time. The Hampden Road gate is the last one to close. All visitors are requested to depart at least five minutes before the last gate is closed.
A plan of the cemetery may be seen by arrangement, free of charge, at the cemetery office at Hampden Road, High Wycombe. The office is open from 9am to 5pm Mondays to Thursdays and 9am to 4.30pm on Fridays.
Visiting a grave
The cemetery has been terraced to provide level ground for burials, but the roads and footpaths can be steep in places and access can be difficult, especially in bad weather. Please discuss special access arrangements with the Cemetery Officer in advance.
- All visitors to the cemetery must keep to the roads and footpaths, except while visiting a grave.
- Any person found conducting themselves in a noisy or disorderly manner will be asked to leave the cemetery. The police will be called in the event of a criminal act taking place
- No children under the age of 12 will be admitted except under the care of a responsible adult, who must ensure their good behaviour at all times
- Dogs are not permitted (except guide dogs)
- Bicycles are not permitted
- The manager has the right to forbid the entry of any unauthorised hearse, coach or other vehicle into the cemetery.
There are public toilets available near the Hampden Road entrance. The disabled toilets can only be accessed using a "radar" key.
Finding a grave
The cemetery officer can help you to find a grave. If you wish to conduct a search, please email or telephone us in advance with as much information on names and dates as you can provide.