You are here

Pet shops

A licence is required by any person carrying out the business of selling animals as pets. Breeders of pedigree animals who sell their animals directly are exempt.

Apply for a licence

You can pay and apply for a licence or change a licence online at GOV.UK:

Alternatively, you can download an application form.

Pet shop licence application form [PDF | 25KB]

Please complete and return to us with the application fee. See our animal licence fees page for details.

Does tacit consent apply?

No. We must process your application before it can be granted.

Licence requirements

  • That all the animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable in respect of size, temperature, construction, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • That the animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food and drink and visited at appropriate intervals
  • That mammals will not be sold at too early an age
  • That all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of infectious disease
  • That appropriate steps will be taken in case of fire of other emergency

We will shall specify such conditions in the licence that appear necessary to meet the licence requirements.


The legislation covering this area is: Pet Animals Act 1951.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court (Law Courts, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1LR, phone: 01494 651 017 email: The court may give directions on the issue of a licence.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court. The court may give directions on the issue of a condition.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice (see link below). From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (see link below).

External links

Wycombe District Council is not responsible for the content of external websites. Links open in a new window.

Contact information