You are here

Temporary Event Notice

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) authorises an individual to hold small-scale events where licensable activities occur. These events can occur indoors, outdoors or a mixture of both.

Licensable activities

Licensable activities are defined in the legislation as:

  • Public performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film (includes recorded material but not simultaneously broadcast television)
  • Indoor sporting events (in front of an audience)
  • Boxing or wrestling (live, not televised)
  • Live or recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Other similar entertainment to music or dance
  • Provision of facilities for making music, dancing or similar activities
  • Provision of late night refreshment (sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)
  • Sale by retail of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol (for registered members clubs only)

Limitations of a TEN

  • Premises or a piece of land can only hold 12 TENs per calendar year (1 January to 31 December)
  • The maximum length an event can last is 168 hours. However, the combined total of TENs upon an individual premise must not exceed 15 days per year
  • Non-personal licence holders can only apply for five TENs per year
  • Personal licence holders can apply for up to 50 TENs per year
  • Maximum attendance within the area covered by the TEN cannot exceed 499 persons at any given time
  • 24 hours must elapse between any two TENs being requested for the same premise by the same person
  • Applicants must be individuals who are over 18 years of age

A premise licence will be required if the above criteria cannot be met.

TEN fee

The fee for a TEN is £21.

Apply for a TEN

You can pay and apply online below:

These must be submitted a minimum of ten working days in advance of the event in order for the application to be valid. This notice period does not include the day that the application is made or the day of the event so two weeks notice is effectively required.

A small number of "late" applications can also be made - two for non-personal licence holders and ten for personal licence holders per calendar year. These must be made at least five working days before the date of the event. Failure to give the statutory notice period will result in the application being returned, which may mean that the event has to be cancelled, so it is very important that the application is submitted on time.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period - ten working days.

Terms and conditions

Police objections

Should they wish to do so, the police have 3 working days to issue an objection notice after they have received their copy of the application. Unless the notice can be amended with the agreement of all parties, a hearing of the Licensing Sub-Committee will then be arranged to consider the notice at least 24 hours before the event is due to take place.

Police closures

The police have the power to close down events without notice on the grounds of disorder, the likelihood of disorder or because of public nuisance caused by noise from the premises.

Planning law

The grant of a TEN does not relieve the premises user from obtaining any necessary planning consents.

Children at events

Under the Licensing Act 2003, it is unlawful to allow any unaccompanied child under 16 years old to be present on premises where the TEN is exclusively or primarily used for supply and consumption of alcohol. It is also unlawful to permit children under 16 years old, unaccompanied by an adult, between 12 midnight and 5am, into any premises operating under a TEN supplying alcohol for consumption.


Fêtes are exempted from the requirement for a licence for any regulated entertainment (music and dancing). Morris dancing is also exempted. There are also exemptions for regulated entertainment when it is taking place on religious premises or as part of a religious service.

There are no exemptions for sale of alcohol, which will always require a licence. More about alcohol and entertainment licences.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court (Law Courts, Easton Street, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11 1LR, phone: 01494 651 017 email: within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice (see link below). From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (see link below).

Other redress

If we decide not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to High Wycombe Magistrates' Court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

External links

Wycombe District Council is not responsible for the content of external websites. Links open in a new window.

Contact information

Related web pages